There are a lot of opportunities to spend money this summer, and they can add up quick. But with some planning and expense cutting, you can take advantage of summer weather, activities, food and entertainment while still saving yourself some cash. Here are 10 ways to save money this summer.
1. Before you head out for a summer activity or to eat at a restaurant, visit your destination’s website and look for discounts. They may have specials or coupons available. Groupon, LivingSocial and other deal-of-the-day apps can also yield some excellent discounts.
2. Check your town and neighboring towns for free festivals, musical performances, and other activities. Meet up with friends each week for low-key afternoon or evening of fun.
3. Fire up your grill this summer to keep your house cooler and save energy. If you have a gas grill, you can save some money on gas canisters by grilling extra food on the weekend to eat during the week. Try hosting a BBQ once a month and have everyone bring a dish. Need some more inspiration? Try these 5 tips for eating healthy on a budget.
4. Want to swim when it’s hot, but don’t have a pool? Find a community pool, YMCA or school pool to swim for free on sweltering days.
5. Join your local library, especially if you have kids. Libraries are hubs for a variety of activities in summer like reading programs, classes, book clubs, festivals, discussions, movie nights and other free or low-cost events for families.
6. Buy a museum membership. Yes, it will cost you some money, but many museums offer reciprocal membership programs through the North American Reciprocal Museum Association (NARM). This means if you buy one membership, you will get free or discounted access to other museums and exhibits, as well as science centers, aquariums, zoos and other NARM-affiliated places.
7. Summer is almost synonymous with movies. If you plan to see a lot of the big blockbusters, make sure you check the theater websites for discounts and potential memberships that will give you more bang for your buck. Regal and Cinemark are just two of the companies that offer great deals or clubs for frequent moviegoers.
8. Looking to get away for a weekend? Find the cheapest way to travel by using a fly or drive calculator like travelmath.com. It will help you measure travel distance and time, and help keep your budget under control with travel cost tools. For a more in-depth look at travel budgeting, check out these 8 tips to keep your summer travel cost low.
9. If you’re interested in trying a new activity or sport this summer, you can pick up low-cost equipment like basketballs, badminton sets and more at your local park or recreation department.
Enjoy the warmer weather with these 9 ways to save money this summer so that you can have fun in the sun this season without burning a hole in your wallet.